Wednesday, April 15, 2009

time to cut back

Who has ever gotten up one morning and found that everything in the closet is too tight, your jeans are screaming for mercy, if you pop a shirt button you'll put somebodys eye out, and you can hardly wait for breakfast?

You proceed to look in the mirror and hopelessly think "It's really time to cut back". So, you cut back, starve for two or three hours, then promptly devour anything sweet, salty, or fried within a 5-mile radius. It's generally a good thing this doesn't happen at the grocery store or you'd be on the floor in front of the donut case surrounded by crumbs with your face covered in chocolate...

"Cutting back" NEVER works! Ok, well, it works for guys. They say "I need to cut back" and BOOM! they lose twenty pounds. Cutting back for women never works. I say "I need to cut back" and sweet things I didn't even know I had stashed away start calling my name like they are standing right next to me shouting through a megaphone. I can't win.

That's why this plan is a little different. It's not about cutting back everything all at once, counting calories, or trying to work-out till you want to die. It's bad habit elimination, one bad habit at a time. Want to try it? If you do, contact me by email and I'll sign you up as an author to this blog and you can post whatever it is you want to work on and we can do it together.

I got this idea from the Today Show's Joy Fit Club. Linda Horton weighed 546 pounds, was a size 36, and when I saw her on the show she'd lost 294 pounds and was down to a size 18. I was amazed. She'd lost 294 pounds! I kept asking myself, "How does a person even begin to do something like that?" Well, THIS is what she did. She eliminated ONE bad habit at a time. Her first thing to go was soda and she lost 40 pounds, so then she moved on to cookies and sweets and lost more, then fried foods and so on. She set a new goal every month and is still losing weight. It didn't happen overnight; the 294 pounds took her a little over three years to lose.

It can be done...so here goes...

1 comment:

Jeralee said...

This is terrific Corri! I started cleaning up my diet three days ago and have been keeping a food journal and eating better. It's a daily struggle for sure!