Saturday, April 18, 2009

Recognize even the smallest success

I posted my No Night-time Snacking goal two nights ago and have managed to achieve it for two whole nights! The interesting thing is what I've learned about myself.

1. I eat purely out of habit.
2. I don't have to be hungry to eat - not at all.
3. I often don't even have food on my mind, but if I see it or smell it I suddenly want to eat.

The first night after setting the goal it came time to give the girls their bedtime snack, so I got out two bowls instead of three and poured cereal and milk. I wasn't hungry at all because I had eaten meatloaf and potatoes for dinner, but I was antsy just sitting there with my hands doing nothing. I wanted to eat just for something to do with my hands, and because it was such a habit to eat at that time. It was the strangest feeling to recognize I wasn't hungry at all, but still wanting to eat purely out of habit. Later that night when Ken came home from work he made himself a peanut butter sandwich and I smelled it; I love peanut butter so I immediately wanted a peanut butter sandwich too. Again, I wasn't even slightly hungry, I just wanted food because it was in front of me and it was something I liked. It has become apparent to me that I need to put more thought into eating and not just eat because of habit or presentation.

No comments: